Am I Eligible
It is important that you read our eligibility guidelines below before you think about applying to make sure that you meet the criteria for a grant.
If you have any questions about the criteria of any of the funds, please email the grants team firstname.lastname@example.org or call us on 01900 825760 and we will be happy to help.
We make grants to a wide range of organisations. We are particularly keen to help grassroots community groups and small-to-medium-sized voluntary organisations. We do not normally make grants to large UK-wide charities, but we might do so where there are strong relationships in our area and the proposal has potential to achieve a substantial impact.
You do not have to be a registered charity to apply, but the work you ask us to support must be legally charitable.
You must have a governing document (constitution, rules, memorandum and articles of association etc.), a governing body composed of at least three unrelated individuals, and a bank account in your group’s name with at least two unrelated signatories.
For most funds, you can apply whatever your income level. Some funds may have more specific requirements about the size and type of organisation eligible.
Please note if you have previously had a grant from us we will not consider any new application unless you have sent us all the required grant reports.
What we will fund:
- Projects where the majority of people who will benefit are disadvantaged
- Groups working with children where the majority are disadvantaged or have special needs
- Groups with 12 months or less running costs in unrestricted reserves
- Groups operating within the county of Cumbria (Except Beckburn Windfarm and Cumberland Building Society Charitable Foundation – please refer to the fund pages for the full area of benefit)
- Groups with a registered address and/or local voluntary management committee or Board of Trustees in Cumbria (Except Beckburn Windfarm and Cumberland Building Society Charitable Foundation – please refer to fund pages for the full area of benefit)
- Core costs and overheads for your organisation
- Salaries and equipment purchases
- Capital projects that meet our programme criteria
- Registered and non-registered charities, CIOs, CICs limited by guarantee and social enterprises that are engaged in legally charitable work with at least three unrelated trustees or directors
What we won’t fund:
- Animal welfare
- Contact Boxing (unless you are applying to Comic Relief)
- Deficit funding
- General large appeals
- Medical research and equipment
- Activities which are normally the statutory duties of public bodies
- Most of our funds will not fund Statutory bodies
- Applications to a fund where you have had a grant from that fund within the last 12 months
- Projects which duplicate an existing service in an area
- One-off or sponsored events
- Advancement of religion
- Party political activities