The Positive Enterprise programme aims to:
- give young people aged 14-25 years from disadvantaged backgrounds in West Cumbria the opportunity to have their ideas and ambitions heard and the potential to have them realised
- challenge young people to think creatively and in more enterprising ways
- empower young people to ‘positively disrupt’ the status quo and to be heard
- support young people to test out their enterprising ideas
- break down the barriers for aspiring young entrepreneurs, by developing an enterprising culture based on encouragement and support
We’re delighted to have partnered with the Centre for Leadership Performance, a not-for-profit organisation that has shared ambitions for young people in West Cumbria. Several of its existing programmes align with and complement the aims of Positive Enterprise to support, nurture and empower leaders of the future.
A social enterprise is a business that trades to tackle social problems, improve communities, people’s life chances, or the environment.
We know young people have some amazing business ideas and we want to help turn those ideas into a reality, while also considering the impact on the local community.
Positive Enterprise is a competition open to young people living in Allerdale or Copeland and aged between 14 and 25 who have a social business idea and want to make it into a reality.
Young people can win up to £1,000, which could be used to pay for things like equipment, materials, stock and services to help get their business up and running!
Successful applicants will receive expert support, funding and learning opportunities to bring their idea to life. This includes a grant of £1,000, a learning programme including coaching, mentoring and workshops to help young people develop their enterprising ideas and themselves as leaders. They’ll also have the opportunity to learn from local entrepreneurs who’ve created successful initiatives, work alongside a peer group of young people committed to creating positive change and will be linked to other organisations to help them to put their plan into action.
How to apply?
We’re recruiting local people to become mentors and to help and encourage these young people to prosper. If you would like to be involved, please complete the Positive Enterprise Mentor Application 2023 and return it via email to email@example.com