In its broadest terms, safeguarding is everybody’s business. Abuse can happen to anyone, anywhere, and responsibility for dealing with it lies with us all as public, volunteers and professionals.

Safeguarding means ensuring there are measures in place to make sure that beneficiaries and others who come into contact with your organisation are protected from harm.

The trustees of an organisation have the primary responsibility for safeguarding beneficiaries, staff and volunteers, and must take all the necessary steps to ensure that their organisation is operating in a safe and secure environment. This includes staff and volunteers receiving appropriate training and support to prevent safeguarding issues arising, or to spot signs of abuse; robust procedures for reporting abuse in a timely and objective manner, and clear accountability structures, including a named contact for any safeguarding issues.

Cumbria Community Foundation takes the safeguarding of children and adults at risk seriously and we expect organisations applying for our funding to have a safeguarding policy which is up-to-date and relevant to their beneficiaries. When we review a safeguarding policy, we are looking for assurance of an organisation’s commitment to protecting their beneficiaries, staff and volunteers from any abuse. The list of criteria points we use to assess your policy is included in our Safeguarding Assessment Criteria.

If you apply for a grant you will be asked for a copy of your organisation’s safeguarding policy at the time of application. Read our Safeguarding FAQ’s for more information.

The Charity Commission says that as a charity, we must only fund organisations that have adequate safeguarding arrangements in place. So, safeguarding applies to every organisation we fund, not just registered charities and not only those working with children or vulnerable adults.

Organisations like community centres or village halls that rent space to other groups, or organisers of public events, do not always directly work with the public. But they still have trustees, volunteers and perhaps staff. They will still be in contact with children and vulnerable adults on their premises or at events. And, because they are trusted in communities, they may become aware of potential safeguarding issues. So, they must have adequate safeguarding arrangements. That includes making sure that any groups working with children or vulnerable adults on their premises or at their events have appropriate safeguarding policies and procedures.

From 1st April 2023, if you are concerned about a child in Allerdale, Carlisle or Copeland you will contact the Cumberland Safeguarding Hub.

Telephone Number – 0333 240 1727
Email Address –

If you are concerned about a child in Barrow, Eden or South Lakeland, you will contact the Westmorland and Furness Safeguarding Hub.

Telephone Number – 0300 373 2724
Email Address –

Information on how to make a referral can be accessed via the current page on the Cumbria Safeguarding Children Partnership website.

If you have concerns regarding someone who works with a child including foster carers and volunteers, these should be reported to the Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO). This applies to all paid, unpaid, volunteers, casual, agency employees or anyone working in a self-employed capacity.

To report a safeguarding concern for anyone aged 18 and over, contact your local Adult Social Care office.

Local Support & Further Advice Available

Cumbria CVS is an infrastructure organisation offering advice, support, training and resources to third sector groups throughout Cumbria on areas including Safeguarding. For further information, please contact or call 01768 800350 or visit

If you are an organisation that supports children and young people, please contact James Baggley, HR & Operations Manager at Cumbria Youth Alliance who can provide advice and guidance to develop an appropriate safeguarding policy. Email or call 07955 355663

ACTion with communities in Cumbria works with rural and community groups across Cumbria. ACT can support you to discuss safeguarding for your organisation and point you to model documents. ACT is also the advice service for community buildings in Cumbria and has model documents and support in this area too. Contact or call 01768 425666.

Cumbria Association of Local Councils (CALC) can support parish and town councils with safeguarding and what it means for a parish or town council. CALC can also provide a template safeguarding policy for councils to use, a copy of which can be found on the CALC website To contact CALC please email