1.What are the Bedrock Awards?
The Bedrock Awards is a unique programme. Unlike a traditional grant which would support “business as usual” or a new project, the Bedrock Awards will help a small number of Third Sector organisations in West Cumbria to plan for sustainability, development and growth via a deep analysis of opportunities for improvement. The Bedrock Awards aim to help organisations by:
- building on existing strengths
- encouraging better planning and strategic thinking
- providing an opportunity for you to consider how you wish to develop your work
- encouraging innovation and new ideas
- nurturing your leadership to further organisational development
- developing your systems and processes
- increasing your effectiveness by helping to make the most of resources
Successful awardees areoffered a two-stage programme of tailored support, intended to deliver long-term benefit to their organisation, resulting in an increased ability to help a greater number of people more effectively and build a more resilient organisation.
Package of support includes:
Stage 1 Bedrock Award:
- business consultancy to help organisations undertake a full business diagnostic and facilitate the production of an organisation/business development strategy and plan;
- unrestricted funding award (up to £25,000) to help build organisational capacity to enable full participation in the business diagnostic/planning process;
- business consultancy help to apply for a Stage 2 Bedrock Award.
Stage 2 Bedrock Award:
- ongoing business consultancy to review progress and support implementation of the organisation’s Stage 2 development plan;
- additional funding award to support implementation of the organisation’s Stage 2 development plan e.g. improving systems, testing innovative ideas and new ways of working.
Support can be provided for up to 2 years (*NB: Only organisations who have successfully completed Stage 1 will be invited to apply for a Stage 2 Bedrock Award.).
Bedrock Award Update
The Bedrock Awards are now closed to further applications
To date eight Bedrock Awards have been awarded to the following organisations:
- Age UK West Cumbria
- Cumbria Alcohol and Drug Advisory Service (CADAS)
- Cumbria Youth Alliance
- Hospice at Home West Cumbria
- Howgill Family Centre • Phoenix Enterprise Centre
- Together We CIC
- Citizens Advice Copeland
Successful applicants are currently being supported through the two-stage Bedrock Award process by Social Enterprise Acumen CIC (SEA), who are working in partnership with Cumbria Social Enterprise Partnership (CSEP), Cumbria County Council and Cumbria Community Foundation.
Kate Welch of SEA said “It’s a real pleasure working with CSEP and the Foundation to help build the capacity and resilience of the local voluntary, community and social enterprise sector in west Cumbria. The organisations we are working with play vital roles in supporting some of the areas most vulnerable people, and the Bedrock Awards will really help these organisations strengthen their offer.”
For further information please contact Jenny Benson, Director of Partnerships & Programmes at Cumbria Community Foundation email email@example.com