Terms and Conditions
High Sheriff Cross Bay Walk 31st July 2021 at 10:45am
Terms and Conditions
The walk is a unique experience and fantastic event with breath taking views that starts in Arnside and finishes across the bay at Grange Promenade, Grange-over-Sands. To keep everyone safe and for the walk to run smoothly the following Terms and Conditions apply to all walkers;
- All participants including well-behaved dogs* must have a reasonable level of physical fitness and be able to walk unaided for at least ten miles. The walk is unsuitable for prams and wheelchairs.
- All participants must bring a facemask. It may be required to wear nose and mouth coverings during the briefing at the start of the walk. You may also be required to keep in your family bubbles at all times whilst walking, dependent on government guidelines at the time.
- You must listen to and obey all instructions given by the guide.He is there to ensure your safety.
- Please note that there are no toilet facilities on the walk so consider your needs. Public toilets are available on Arnside Promenade and in Grange-over-Sands.
- Please park considerately. Walkers are responsible for their own transport arrangements to the start and from the finish of the walk.
- Although routes are largely flat, the ground surface can be demanding consisting of sand, mud, shingle, pebble and rocks.
- Weather can be changeable. Please bring suitable waterproof clothing, and extra layers if you feel cold. Dry clothing, a towel and footwear to change into at the end of the walk is advisable.
- Bring sun cream, personal medication including blister relief, sunglasses, sun hat,water and suitable food to consume on the move (E.g., flapjack, bananas, or Kendal mint cake.). You must take your rubbish home, so Morecambe Bay remains special for its local communities and wildlife.
- Bringing a charged mobile phone (in a waterproof container) is advisable. All property taken on the walk is at the owner’s risk. The organisers of the walk accept no liability for any loss or damage to property.
- Walkers aged 16 and under must be supervised at all times by a parent or designated adult. The minimum age for entry on the walk is 9 years.
- Parents must give careful consideration as to whether this walk is suitable for their child. The walk can be onerous, and it may be difficult to carry children if they become tired.
- You will cross at least two river channels that are cold and possibly fast flowing and deep. The depth may be greater depending on the weather conditions (average is 60cm). (This will be dynamically risk assessed at the time by the walk organiser.) Participants will become wet during the walk. The final leg of the walk is over marshland which may be slippery. All walkers must take care and be able to cope with these conditions.
- Registration (on Arnside Promenade) will open one hour before the walk commences and will close at 10:30am, if you have not registered by the time the guide commences the walk (10:45 am prompt) we cannot guarantee that you will be able to walk. Please have emergency contact details for the day to hand, this will help speed up the registration process.
- In the very unusual event that a walk is cancelled (due to it being deemed unsafe because of weather conditions or due to Covid-19 Government restrictions or for any other reason) we will try to notify all walkers at least the evening before via email. Please check your email for updates. Please also visit the High Sheriff Website News Section at highsheriffofcumbria.co.uk if in doubt. In the unlikely event that the walk is cancelled we would like to treat your entry fee as a donation to Cumbria Community Foundation. If you would prefer to receive a refund you must email firstname.lastname@example.org before August 6th 2021, detailing your request.
- *Well-behaved dogs are welcome but are the responsibility of their owner and their places must be booked in advance. Dogs must be kept under control and on a lead throughout the walk, andmust be able to cope with the conditions of the walk detailed above. Owners should bring water and snacks for their dog.