Grants to help older people in Cumbria stay warm and healthy.
Funded by voluntary donations of the winter fuel allowance payments, individual and local business donations.
Who can apply?
Individuals aged 60 or over who reside in Cumbria and who receive a state pension and/or pension credit or struggle to maintain a basic acceptable standard of living during the winter due to the cost of heating their home
• be aged 60 and over
• Cumbrian resident
• State pension and/or Pension Credit
• struggle to maintain a basic acceptable standard of living during the winter due to the cost of heating your home
Priority is given to those:
• aged 80 and over
• who have comorbidity or chronic underlying health conditions, particularly respiratory or coronary
• who live in a hard-to-heat home e.g., solid walled property, or a property with poor insulation
• who are dependent on heating oil, solid fuel, or do not have central heating
• who use electrical medical equipment e.g., home dialysis machines, oxygen concentrators and artificial ventilators
• who have savings of less than £10,000 if an owner-occupier
• who have not previously received a grant
How much can you apply for?
• The normal grant is £200 or £300 in exceptional circumstances
Please note: Grants are only available thanks to the generosity of our donors. Grants can only be awarded if sufficient funds are raised and so we cannot guarantee availability.
If you would like to apply to this fund please contact one of the following:
• Age UK Barrow
Marie Connor, 01229 831425
• Age UK Carlisle and Eden
Becky Cartmell, 01228 536673
• Copeland Age & Advice Service
Lesley Amor, 01946 552166
• Age UK South Lakeland
Hannah Kitching, 01539 728118
• Age UK West Cumbria (Allerdale)
Information & Advice Team: 01900 844670
Age UK and Copeland Age & Advice Service also provide free benefit checks, and advice and support around tariff switching, energy-efficiency measures, heating faults/replacements, debt management and applying for energy-related grants.
Further advice and guidance is available through your local Citizens Advice:
Citizens Advice Barrow
03444 889 624
South Lakes Citizens Advice
03444 111 444
Citizens Advice Carlisle & Eden
03300 563 037
Citizens Advice Allerdale
Citizens Advice Copeland
Cold to Cosy Homes will help 600 households in Cumbria cut the costs of heating their home. Home Energy advisors will provide in-home energy assessments as well as face to face and telephone advice to people to improved energy saving and draught-proofing measures. It offers free energy- saving advice and equipment, along with referrals for a range of other support to help people make their house warmer and more comfortable. Please find a short video of what’s on offer and who is eligible. Apply online here or call 01768 216500 and email: firstname.lastname@example.org, www.cosyhomes.org.uk.
If you would like further information about this fund please contact:
Annalee Holliday on 01900 825760 or email email@example.com