Place Based Prevention
Placed Based Prevention delivers local preventative services through a partnership of third sector organisations who deliver a range of practical help and support for people living in the county. Funded by Cumbria County Council and part of the Health and Social Wellbeing System, Place Based Prevention (PBP) aims to prevent, delay or reduce demand on statutory services and improve the overall health and wellbeing of people in Cumbria. Support is provided by dedicated staff and volunteers to help customers maintain health and independence in their own home and community.
How does PBP work?
The PBP helplines act as one stop shops for independent information and advice. Where a customer could benefit from more assistance, we arrange a home visit by one of our Case Workers to provide face to face support and complete a holistic assessment of needs.
Who does PBP work with?
The PBP programme is for anyone in Cumbria who is aged 18 and over and needs help to deal with issues they are facing and wants support to improve their quality of life. Our Case Workers can help with a very wide range of issues including:
• General well-being – helping tackle feelings of depression or loneliness; feeling worried or struggling to relax; dealing with bereavement
• Income and employment – checking people are claiming all the benefits to which they are entitled, helping with money management
• Housing – help and advice for those who are struggling to manage their home or feel unsafe
• Social isolation – for those who feel unhappy with the level of contact they have with friends and family or who need help accessing local activities
• Leaving hospital – making sure people are safe and supported in the first few weeks after they leave hospital
• Health – reducing the risk of falling at home, general health advice and help with staying fit and active
• Aids and adaptations – equipment or minor adaptation needs in the home to help with mobility / daily living
How do people contact PBP?
If you live in Allerdale or Copeland, contact: Age UK West Cumbria
If you live in Barrow or South Lakeland, contact: Age UK South Lakeland
If you live in Carlisle or Eden, contact: Age UK Carlisle and Eden
PBP uses Compass in Cumbria – a ground breaking way of linking the third sector, Adult Social Care and Health. Click here to see the Compass eHub.