John Fryer-Spedding CBE led the creation of the organisation in 1997 when as High Sheriff he recruited a steering group to assess the feasibility of Cumbria having its own community foundation.
With a founding donation of £1m from British Nuclear Fuels and the financial support of all seven local authorities in the county the Foundation was launched in August 1999.
The first ten years of the Community Foundation (charity number: 1075120) are charted in our 2009 Annual Review. However key highlights include:
- Raising £2.1m to assist people and communities affected by Foot and Mouth disease in 2001
- Responding to major floods in 2005 and 2009 raising in excess of £3.8m in total through the creation of Flood Recovery Funds
attracting national awards for grant making and fundraising (in 2002 and 2005)
- Securing the largest local corporate fund – the £2.5m Nuclear Management Partners Community Fund
- Making over 10,000 grant awards throughout the county (milestone achieved in October 2010)
- Developing over 50 different grant making funds.
Copyright © 2013 Cumbria Community Foundation.
All rights reserved.